Monday, December 7, 2009

Journey To Bethlehem

I told myself I would only attend Friday night. Nope! Something drew me to the Journey to Bethlehem this year that I attended every night, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It could have been that I knew a ton more elementary students that adorably would shout out "Hey look it's Coach O!" whenever they saw me, or the fact I knew some of the performers from Alhambra church that I wanted to support, or maybe the pride I felt in that my school, the place I now work at puts on this huge and wonderful event at this time of year when it's cold outside that no other academy in the area does. I think that says a lot about SGA!

Journey to Bethlehem is a once a year outdoor event at San Gabriel Academy that depicts the Christmas story of the trip Joseph and Mary traveled to Bethlehem. As you enter the campus, you are assigned to a tribe with a leader (tour guide) that will take you on a trip to different sights and sounds of this journey to Bethlehem. The field is decorated with many props to portray an appealing ancient world, a christmas lighted path with trees and plants, a water fountain, armadillos and wildcats, lions and bears, and of course, the various scenes of this journey. You will travel to scenes like Isaiah the prophet writing on a scroll (who I heard a lot of kids referring to as Santa Clause), Shepherds and little lambs, King Herod in the palace with the wise men, to finally the nativity scene of Joseph and Mary holding baby Jesus. There is also a petting zoo filled with real animals such as lambs, a pig, a turkey and even lama. Bethlehem is a favorite spot for many, the lighted marketplace filled with soldiers and merchants that sell water, hot chocolate, cookies and other deserts if you have the blue and pink coins that were given to you at the beginning of the tour. The end of the journey rests at an outdoor amphitheater set up with chairs, hay stacks (the kind you sit on, not eat), and the stage where different artists and musicians perform to conclude the evening.

The faculty and students of San Gabriel Academy put on this big event for the community every first weekend in December. If you couldn't make it, you really missed out! Next year I hope to get more involved. I might consider being a tour guide, since some weren't so enthusiastic that drove me to lead the group instead. Or maybe a merchant behind one of the counters serving food so when no one's looking, I can eat some for myself! Haha I'm kidding! Well, I think Journey to Bethlehem turned out to be a success in spite of a few things but hey, there really is no place like SGA! And I'm proud to be part of this campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment